Tuesday 26 March 2013

Next Big Thing

I was tagged to take part in The Next Big Thing by an awesome published Short Story Writer I admire. Her name is Lynette Washington. Lynette started a writer's group in Adelaide about 4 years ago and it is still going and she always leaves me amazed by her subtelty and craft. Her responses to these questions can be found here:

http://lynettewashington.wordpress.com/

Here's how it works. I received Lynette's a few months ago and I either had to join Facebook or start a blog to answer them appropriately. So I started a blog. Then, I answer ten questions about my writing then ask other great writers I know to do the same thing. My answers are as follows.

1: What is the title of your next book?

I am unsure. I am most excited about The History Erasers. But I have completed a first draft of another untitled book that I have essentially shelved and am also working on a novel I have that I dont want to name (I will call it The Other One) because if it ever gets to publication it is going under a pseudonymn. The History Erasers and The Other One are equally exciting for me to write and I cant choose which I want to complete first.

2: Where did the idea come from for the book?

The History Erasers This one has been banging around in my head for about ten years now without an outlet. It came to me when I walked past the closed shopfront of a scientific artefact store.

The Other One This one is essentially catharsis. It will be based on my career.

3: What genre does your book fall under?

Each is probably loosely literary in style and nihilistic but compassionate in tone.

4: What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?

The boy in The History Erasers could be played by Javier Bardem. Only because the guy can play anything.

The main character in The Other One would be played by Ed Norton because he is brilliant and is the lead actor in my favourite movie of all time - Fight Club.

5: What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

The History Erasers: A cop investigates a series of intricate and grand thefts that lead him to meet a man who will change his outlook on his ashtray.

The Other One: One worker in a health system with the insight to notice that which needs changing and is unable to change it.

6: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Fucked if I know? Hopefully represented if someone thinks there is enough merit in it. I have thought about whether I should selfpublish if it gets knocked back by all and sundry and havent had to cross that bridge yet. I will let you know. But, if it is selfpublished, you'll know because I am definitely going to hit up everyone I know to buy a copy to maintain my sense of selfworth.

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

Both are presently incomplete and wonderfully so. I embrace their embryonic characters and developing plots.

8: What other books would you compare this story to in your genre?

The Other One: The House of God by Samuel Shem. The most satirical exploration of a hospital system I have ever read and required reading by medicos everywhere.

The History Erasers: I am unsure. Possibly a mish mash of many things by Chuck Palahniuk.

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?

The History Erasers: Me. It captures where my head goes sometimes and then the argument I have with myself about it.

The Other One: My work. I love it everyday. And everyday I want out. And everyday I want it changed drastically. And that is an unpleasant state to be in when professional demeanour needs to be maintained.

10: What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?

The History Erasers: Imagine a museum, large or small, emptied of all its artefacts in one night.

The Other One: I'll go for baseness. There's a threesome ... almost.

Below are the authors I am tagging to answer these questions next. I am not aware of any of them having blogs as far as I am aware, but if you do and wish to spread the word, please dont hesitate.

Sally Nimon: Fantasy Author. When I read her work I think Terry Pratchett and The Smartest Person in the room.

Steve Kroemer: Children's author and screen writer. There is never a quiet moment in his work.

Chris Horsman: Author of excellent stories and comics and editor whom I am sure pulls her hair out when reading my version of punctuation. The only person I know personally who has published a book.

Ken Schaefer: Author of rural stories and all round good bloke.

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment